Tuesday 27 May 2014

A Tiller Tassel is Born




Today has been a rope day, as was most of yesterday! I've had a lot of orders for bell ropes and tiller tassels and so for the last couple of days they been my main task. 

  
I thought you may find it interesting to see how I make them, so I made you a mini photo diary.  I use high quality 100% White cotton rope for my tassels, it gives a lovely finish and is nice and soft to work with.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Firstly, I get my rope and split it into its treads and tie a Matthew Walker Knot to make the top of the tassel.                                                                                                                                                             The length of the rope depends on the length of the finished tassel. The rope I used today was 8mm in diameter. 


The next knot on this particular design is a Wall Knot.  You could leave this out if you wanted too.  You may also notice I have added a small key ring on the top loop.  This is to make it easier to hang the finished tassel when it's finished.
This is how I hold the rope for the next knot, the Star Knot, it is easier this way for me as you can see the layers building. It is done in 6 stages as below.  I am not going to try and describe each stage.  Instead I have pictured each layer as I have done it.                                                                                                              I am sure if you googled 'star knot' and watch a video you could work out how its done.         Alternatively, come and find me on the cut and I'll show you :0)
                       
Stage 1
Stage 2
                                                                
Stage 3
Side View Stage 2
Stage 4
Stage 6
Stage 5
Stage 6 shows the Star Knot before it is tightened.  Stage 7 shows the finished and tightened result.
Finished Star Knot
                                                     
Next you do some Crown Knots to your desired length. Basically you do one crown knot after the other. On this design it was one clockwise and one widdershins alternating till it was about two inches of knots. Fig1 is of the crown knot loose, Fig 2 is the same knot tightened and Fig 3 is the side view.

Fig 1
Fig 2
Fig 3
This design has a 6 stranded diamond knot at the centre. The picture shows the loose knot  before it's tightened into place.   You tighten it up against the Crown Knots till it looks OK and then carry on with the crown knots for the same length (apx2 inches) I then add another Star Knot  and Matthew Walker Knot at the bottom for symmetry.


                                  

Loose Matthew Walker Knot
Have shown this picture of a loose Matthew Walker knot to give you a bit of an idea what its like before you tighten it. It took me ages to learn this knot (Ken Morton had to show me in the end lol).  But now I have the hang of it it is one of my favorites to do.



                                           
Almost There

Lastly, I unravel the remaining strands of rope, cut them to length and comb them through.  

                   
So there you have it, the finished articles. Only a few more to do and I will be done for the day :0)

If you would like to purchase one of my tassels, they are available in my ebay shop (link at the top of the blog) or you can purchase one from me on the boat. The cost is £15 for a large tassel and £10 for a small one. Ebay tassels are made to order and take apx 4 days to be despatched. 



No comments:

Post a Comment